About the Park

The "Friends of Ropes Creek" site is a four hectare area of grassy woodland on the Cumberland Plain in the western Sydney suburb of North St Marys. This bushland is now classified as critically endangered under both NSW and Commonwealth legislation.

 
Indigenous History

 

The Gomerrigal-Tongarra clan, of the Dharruk language group inhabited the area before colonisation.

 
History of Settlement
 
In 1806, a grant for 790 acres of land was given to the wife of Governor King (Anna Josepha King), This grant covered most of the area that is now known as North St. Marys and Dunheved. The "Friends of Ropes Creek" site is within the area of this original land grant.

 

Ropes Creek is named after Anthony Rope who came out from Britain as a convict with the First Fleet. He purchased a parcel of land on South Creek for farming which later became known as Ropes Crossing.

 

The area that bounds Ropes Creek in Nth. St. Marys was part of Anna King’s “Dunheved Farm”. The land was deemed unsuitable for cultivation so was used instead for grazing. Livestock grazing was practised up to the mid 1970's.

 

In the early 1940s a powerline was erected through the "Friends of Ropes Creek" site to service the WWII amunition factory that was situated on the old Dunheved Farm site, now the new suburb of Ropes Crossing. Nearby Dunheved High School was built 1973-1974.
 

The N.S.W. Department of Urban Planning owns the land and is maintained by Penrith City Council.

 

The bushland continues to be a refuge for wildlife.


Friends of Ropes Creek

Comments